Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Does the Maytag man REALLY exist?

I usually do laundry twice a week. Which is pushing it at our household. So last Saturday I put a load of laundry in and went to see what Brant was doing. All of a sudden my washer decides to talk. It starts moaning and clicking. I run in there to see it's not agitating. I just move the knob a bit and continue with my business. Again it starts making that same noise on the rinse cycle. Again, I move the knob to spin and pray the water empties out. That load was complete finally. I, being the intelligent one, decide maybe it was just that load. I attempt to wash another load. Same issues. To move this story along I took my other 6 loads to a friends house and wash them there. Thank the Lord for great friends.

After my 2 loads at home I decided I would take the washer apart and fix it myself. First off, I couldn't even get the front off to take a deeper look. My wonderful husband comes in there to laugh at me. I break down and ask for help. He insists on calling the maytag man. For real? After we bend the panel back to peek at the inside, and almost break it, I called the repair man. I couldn't find a maytag man so I settled with Bud's Appliance.

Monday comes and I meet the repair man at our house. I hear lots of noise as he works on it and behold 15 minutes later he comes out and says "There's nothing I can do. You need a new transmission. You might as well buy a new washer. You owe me $40." WHAT!?! Ok......my washer is 3 years old and the old man at Lowe's said "buy a maytag they last forever." Obviously forever is 3 years. Now I refuse to buy a washer at Christmas time so I am hand washing our clothes. (Just in between cycles where it needs to agitate) My husband stares at me while I do this and just shakes his head. Then he asks me what I want for Christmas. Well, a washing machines that completes every cycle would be a good start!

Just wanted to share some of my frustration with a broken washer and a husband who just doesn't understand. I just have to be positive and remember it's only a washing machine and I should thank God everyday for these kinds of luxuries. I am truly blessed with a healthy family,
2 amazing children, friends that would do anything for us and love that can conquer anything!(especially a defective washing machine)

2 comments:

Leslee P said...

awww, my hubbie told me the washing machine was broken. we went out and spent $800 on a new one just to find out that the one we had was only clogged up. Hmmmm, I would like my $800 back please. did you know that you cannot return an opened appliance, CRAP!

Amanda said...

Hey! So I just found your blog through Becca's. So glad to see you are doing so great - you have an adorable family!